SUNFLOWER MINCE MEXICAN STYLE
Created by Nourishing Amy
Olive or hemp seed oil
1 white onion, small dice
1 ½ bell peppers (any colour), small dice
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 x 76g pack sunflower mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp brown rice miso paste, optional
1 tsp harissa paste, optional
1 tin kidney beans, drained (240g drained weight)
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp raw carob powder
- Heat a large drizzle of olive in a large saucepan and fry off the onion and pepper for about 10 minutes until soft and caramelised. Add in the dried spices and garlic and fry for another minute or so, until fragrant.
- Stir in the sunflower mince, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, brown rice miso paste and harissa paste, if using. Stir well, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, season to taste with salt and black pepper and allow to simmer for 10 minutes with a lid on.
- Add the kidney beans to the sunflower mince, stir again and taste for seasoning. Continue to simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the sauce thicken. Stir in the raw carob halfway through this time.
- In the meantime, cook your grain of choice and prepare your toppings.
- Serve warm in bowls with your chosen side dishes. This chilli will last for up to 3 days in the fridge and will freeze well in portions.
TO SERVE brown rice or other cooked grain, cornbread, chilli flakes, avocado cubes, spring onion slices, coconut yoghurt